Macey, a 3 year old little female Jug (that's a Pug x Jack Russell Terrier!) was brought to see vet David Garrett after her owners noticed a discharge from her right eye, since she was seen chasing a bird into some bushes two days before. On examination she was found to have a marked scleritis and conjunctivitis and a scar over her iris. There was also a central lesion on her cornea with a dark centre which suggested there may be a foreign body in her eye. Macey needed to be admitted for a full general anaesthetic to remove any foreign body and if necessary place a conjunctival graft.

Macey's owner commented: 'Macey is a very fun loving dog, loves to be outside and into everything and roaring around the garden with our other dog. She has a great personality, loves everyone which she shows by licking you to death, loves to be cuddled and made a fuss off!

Macey was out for a walk with my husband and our other dog Monty when she spotted a pheasant and went hell for leather after it through a bramble bush! Obviously she didn't catch it! They carried on with their walk but noticed that there was a problem with Macey the next day. She started to scratch her eye, though not excessively, but it was unusual behaviour for her as she really doesn't make a fuss about anything. We noticed that her eye was a bit cloudier than the other one and at that stage we thought we'd get her checked out. We had no idea that there was anything in her eye until the vet said that there's something in her cornea and would need an operation to remove it. 

On the morning of the op Macey was quite happy to come in to the practice but was a bit dismayed that she couldn't have her breakfast (she loves her food). Everyone was brilliant at the practice when she was admitted, explaining what was going to happen etc.. As per usual Macey took it all in her stride!' 

Macey was admitted for her surgery. After being settled into the ward she was given a premed injection which included pain relief. She was anaethetised shortly after this and her eye was prepared for surgery. Using specialised instruments, David investigated the corneal lesion and was able to remove a fragment of plant material that had penetrated deep into her cornea resulting in a puncture. 

To repair the puncture wound and the ulcer, David placed a conjunctival graft over the surface of her eye then a third eyelid flap to protect the surgery site. Because of the foreign body penetrating the full thickness of the cornea David was concerned about an intraocular infection developing. 

Macey was prescribed antibiotic eye drops and a course of both antibiotic tablets. She was also given a course of tablets for pain relief and to reduce inflammation around the surgery site. Macey was discharged and allowed to go home later that day. 

The day after the surgery her owner rang, concerned over administering her eye drops. Macey returned to us regularly over the next few days to have her eye drops put in at the practice. David examined her eye 5 days after the surgery and was pleased with her progress. She would need to continue to wear her collar for a while longer. 

'She hated the buster collar that she had to wear afterwards and wasn't that happy about her eye drops! We had to bring her back a few times for the nurses to put them in because we couldn't keep her still, but she soon realised that there was a treat at the end of it if she kept still, so after that no problem. We came back for check ups and another small op and in the end Macey looked forward to coming to the vets. Her progress throughout the whole thing was brilliant she never made a fuss, she's one tough little cookie! But I think it helped that Mr Garrett and the veterinary nurses were so good with her. 

We were so pleased the way things turned out because at one stage we thought she might loose her eye - thanks to Mr Garrett she didn't, he did a great job!' 

13 days after surgery 
Macey returned for a number of re-examinations.  David was concerned about discharge coming from her eye. He thought this was due to a tear flow issue because of the third eyelid flap. Lubricating eye ointment was prescribed to sooth this. 

20 days after surgery
Her eye was continuing to do well. David removed her third eyelid flap. This exposed her conjunctival graft which was still in place and showed good granulation healing over Macey's corneal wound. 

Six weeks after surgery 
Macey was sedated as planned, to detach some of her conjunctival graft. David advised her owner that the corneal ulcer had healed very well and the part of the graft which was left in place would regress in time. No further medication was needed. 

'Macey is fully recovered now and chasing anything that moves while out on our walks, but we just try and keep her away from bramble bushes now. Thank you all for the great work you did. Thank you for Macey's bravery award. It's very well earnt I think.'